Saturday, 28 March 2009

A trip out to Bankfield


Hubby went into work today so I was left to amuse myself which is unusual for a Saturday. I popped into Halifax first to do some essential shopping and bill paying then I decided to call in at Bankfield museum. It is a short drive away from the centre of Halifax and owned by Calderdale County Council. The Museum started life as Bankfield Mansion and was bought by Colonel Edward Akroyd in 1838. Akroyd was born into a textile manufacturing family in 1810 and cared greatly for the welfare of his workers. He commissioned George Gilbert Scott to design the village, mills, All Souls Church and recreation grounds and he called it Akroyden. Not modest then?

Inside the museum there are the most friendliest and helpful staff you could find anywhere. At the moment there is an exhibition on called The Art of Embroidery which shows some of the fantastic collection of embroidered textiles that the museum holds.


This embroidered cloak from 1880 was exquisite. ( above is Dress Fabric C1700-1730, Silk threads in satin stitch with silver gilt metal threads.)



and this sculpture was a bit spooky. Called The Veiled Lady, by Bazzanti 1860.




















The entrance hall is beautifully painted with designs inspired by Pompeian and Herculanean frescoes.


It is well worth a visit should you find yourself at a loose end in West Yorkshire anytime.




I have to acknowledge my Blogger Award sent from Sal at Doolallysally thank you and I promise to name my 7 things and nominate my 7 blogs soon. Sal I have also finished the bag so will post about that too!

2 comments:

  1. I have never been to Yorkshire but would love to visit one day. The textiles in the museum put my embroidery skills to shame. Isn't it nice to have a day out by oneself now and then?

    ReplyDelete

****I love reading your comments and will always try to get back to you if you have a link to your email, I do not publish Anonymous comments. Also if you have nothing nice to say...please refrain and move on, Thanks*****