While Shan and I were at Manchester City Art Gallery yesterday we stopped off in the gallery shop and made a discovery, well it was new to us any way!Charley Harper and his wonderful illustrations. The shop stocked books and games using his images and we spent ages looking at them and I looked him up on the Internet this morning. He died in 2007 but his prints and books are for sale on many sites. The illustrations are so simple but very well observed and I believe he designed many things for non-profit making conservation organisations.
I can see I will have to save my pennies to buy the book 'Charley Harper-An Illustrated Life'
I did mention on yesterday's post the children's book I bought called 'Posy'-
It is written by Linda Newbury and illustrated by Catherine Rayner and is so gorgeous I had to scan some pictures to show you. I have tried in the past to 'link' to Amazon but they never work but it's worth looking up.
This is the back cover. ISBN 978-1-84362-510-0I made some discoveries in my garden today too......
.......frog spawn in the pond.....
.....tulips in a pot.......
.....crocus in the lawn......
...and Lucy up the apple tree!
I love so much about this post. Your fabulous feline up in the apple tree, The Posy kitten book (quite a resemblance there), the precious spring flowers and frogspawn and the discovery of Charley harper. Yes, he's new to me too - isn't he brilliant!
ReplyDeleteReally enjoyed this my little visit.
warm wishes
xx
Sumea
Lyn this post is delightful. I really like the look of Charley Harpers work and also of Posy the kitten. What a gorgeous illustration. I am such a cat lover as you may tell and what is the naughty Lucy up to climbing the apple tree?!!! I hope she hasn't got her eye on a bird!
ReplyDeleteWhat lovely work by Charley Harper, I love the bird picture!
ReplyDeleteWe’ve lost loads of frog spawn in our pond, not sure if it’s the fish or the birds that have eaten it.
Gorgeous picture of Lucy up the apple tree!
Love Lou xxx
I have frog spawn also.....in my pond I might add:)
ReplyDeleteCharlie Harper is clearly a cat lover....
Charley Harper is worth checking out. I think he loved all creatures and I did find a photo of him in a very untidy studio with a cat sat right on top of his work, so I guess he had cats as pets too.
ReplyDeleteThanks for the above comments ladies!
Love
Lyn
xxx
I just found you via the ginger cats in Wales. Love your blog! I am new to blogging, too, started one in January. It's such fun to find kindred spirits all over the world, eh? I will check in here often. Many thanks, KarenLR
ReplyDeleteJUST LINKED ONTO THIS PAGE LYN, DID YOU EVER GET THE CHARLEY HARPER BOOK, AN ILLUSTRATED LIFE ? I GOT IT LAST YEAR AND A GAME OF MATCH THE CARDS. HIS WORK IS GREAT. ONE OF MY NIECE'S IS A DEPUTY HEAD AT A PRIMARY SCHOOL AND SHE IS THE LEADER FOR THE ENVIROMENTAL STUFF THEY DO. HER SCHOOL ST. EDWARDS AT CASTLETON, ROCHDALE IS A ONE OF THE LEADING SCHOOLS. I SEND HER YOUR LINKS SHE THINKS THEY ARE GREAT.
ReplyDeleteKEEP WARM
LYNN XX