
After such a fun and exciting Saturday, Sunday was very lazy here.
I tried to do some ideas for a bird applique but couldn't get 'into' it. I think starting anything is always hard, you are OK once you get going.

Hubby and I did talk quite a lot about our idea of building an extension onto the side of our house and we did some measuring and Hubby make some rough plans, but it won't happen till next summer at the earliest. I would get a bedroom to use as a study/workroom so I did spend a good deal of time arranging furniture etc in my imagination!

I found a load of plain fabric samples my friend gave me (samples of curtain lining, about 150cm x 120cm) I played around with them. Any ideas on what I could do with them gratefully received! I did want to make some spring bunting for my Easter Egg hunt when my friends and their children come but they look a bit small for that??
Then in between the showers I took some photos of the flowers in our garden-just to cheer myself up!

The pink Bergenia looks very exotic don't you think?
And I have a nice little collection of Heucheras now, their foliage is evergreen so are just as good as flowers this time of year.
and the witch hazel smells wonderful!
I did see a true act of devotion though- While I was doodling away I heard a bang from the conservatory and went to investigate. I found two birds sitting on the steps leading up to the patio. The female chaffinch had obviously flown into the glass and was a bit shaken and stunned and was having a little rest (you could almost see the little stars moving around her head just like the cartoons!) The male just sat on the step above keeping an eye out and waiting for her to pull herself together, they both sat there for about 15 minutes before flying off to resume their hunt for food. Now thats what I call devotion!
I love birds and their ways – how very touching that the male chaffinch looked after his concussed mate.
ReplyDeleteI love bergenias too; I especially love their common name – elephants ears.
The only thing I can think of doing with those little fabric squares would be to make Suffolk puffs from them.
lovely flowery pics very springlike :-) i tried to make a padded bird hanging once and it went badly wrong LOL
ReplyDeleteSweet little bird tale! I think bunting is a good idea for your fabric pieces even if it is 'mini' bunting! The flowers look glorious in your garden.
ReplyDeleteOh, love the picture of the Chaffys, such gorgeous birds. I'd be very excited at the thought of a sewing room!
ReplyDeleteI like the way your post started and ended with birds. The Robin sketches at the top are lovely and the Chaffinch story very moving. Your plant photos are lovely, I particularly like the Huecheras leaves. The colours of your fabric samples look like they would work very well for some kind of Easter project. You could make some simple two sided (diff. colours) Eastery shapes and pad/stuff them to make a small but more 3 dimensional bunting, sewing ribbons from them would make them longer and more fluttery. I could also see them as colourful blocks (for little ones) or funky patchwork placemats. I sure you will think of something. Will be popping back to see what comes up. Good Luck
ReplyDeletexx
Sumea