Tuesday, 23 August 2011

So we went to..............

......Morecambe last Sunday.

We parked at the end of the West Promenade near the Battery ( a bargain at 80p for 4 hours or £1.00 for over 4 hours!)
Then we headed to Central Promenade towards a very iconic white building.
Yes I could hardly contain my excitement....we were heading for The Midland Hotel.
See the seahorses?
You can read all about it here and see some old postcards with the hotel on.

The hotel was built in 1932 and opened in 1933 in the Art Deco style.
Above a gentleman having tea in the entrance with the open spiral staircase with it's cantilevered steps.

The sculptor and engraver Eric Gill, carved the two seahorses outside and this bas-relief in the hotel entrance. The circular rugs are copies of the originals by Marion Dorn.
he was also responsible for this circular medallion in the ceiling above the staircase.

And just look at this detail on the floor by designer Marion Dorn, leading to the restaurant.

The seahorse motif was also used originally on the hotel crockery. We headed through to the Rotunda bar

The Bar
in the cafe we spotted a table by the window.

had a look at the menu and

ordered our tea then...

our fish and chunky chips arrived.
And yes they were delicious!

The Rotunda
The interior of the Rotunda Cafe wall was originally painted by Eric Ravilious but it began to peel within two years and was painted over.
The Ladies (yes I took a photo because they were so stylish!)

Then we decided to walk off the lunch.

we walked around the side of the hotel


The Rotunda
Running from the hotel into the sea is the Stone Jetty.
All along the jetty and the 5 miles of promenade there is the most fantastic public art. Read about the Tern Project here and the art work here.

The birds are everywhere above you can see them on the roundabout opposite the old station across the road from the Midland.
Did you know Morecambe only became Morecambe in 1889 when the fishing village of Poulten-le-Sands adopted it when the port and railway grew up around it.

The stone jetty has some great games to play and beautiful sculpture to look at.
here is just a few of them-
Mythical Bird


Magpie Hopscotch
Tongue Twisters

We reluctantly leave the jetty to walk along the East Promenade.

and we take in the wonderful British Seaside.

We walked along with an icecream and I bought some rock for my mum.
and hubby had a play in the arcade.
The Eric Morecambe Statue
We met a familiar face along the way.
Kite Flying

We had such a wonderful day!


This young seagull I think thought the bronze seagull was his mummy and was making a heck of a racket!
deatail of the pavement
We came across this building
The Winter Gardens
The Winter Gardens.
Opened in 1897 but closed to the public in 1977 they are currently trying to get money to restore it to it's former glory.


So now the sun was setting and it was time to leave Morecambe.
The town is trying to reinvent itself and lots of good things are happening but there are still some sad parts that remind us that the tourists are not the only people that they need to think about. It is a town where people live too.

This has been a very long post but I hope you found it interesting and your still awake?

31 comments:

  1. I love this post as the Midland is on my list of places to visit. I believe it was restored by Urban Splash. It looks fab and you have inspired me to make sure I visit sooner rather than later. Lovely xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gosh, i grew up near Morecombe and haven't been back for years, it was so lovely to see it again - it really seems to be doing well! Thank you for reminding me of lovely memories.
    x

    ReplyDelete
  3. So much to see, so many new memories.

    Wish I'd known you were going, I'd of hopped into the back seat to gone along with you.

    I would imagine that there were so many sights to behold that after a while your brain and memory bank were on overload.

    The sights are just so wonderful, Lyn.
    Thanks for sharing such loveliness with us.

    hugs

    ReplyDelete
  4. These photos are beautiful, and I love the back stories you've included, I feel like I've been on holiday too

    ReplyDelete
  5. Of course I'm awake still - such lovely photos. I would never have thought of Morecambe as being a destination which just goes to show what I know - a little golden nugget! Thanks for sharing.
    June.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great hotel. The only time I've been to Morecambe was when my son was at uni in Lancaster and we drove through a particularly grim bit in the pouring rain. He always said the sea front was actually lovely and your photos make it look a great place to visit. Might try again if we're ever over that side of the country again!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That was fantastic Lyn! I think I need to recommend you to the English Tourist Board! I've got a friend that loves all things Art Deco and I'll take a trip with her before I go back teaching if I can - I can't wait!x

    ReplyDelete
  8. I loved this post and how you took us along on your day out. It looks like you had the best time The hotel is very tastefully restored and I loved all the interesting sculptures, particularly the sea shell sculptures on the walkway.
    Thanks again for a very interesting post
    Helen xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a wonderful day. The hotel is quite amazing. You captured its essence, while providing a great narrative. I am glad I got to visit Morecambe. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. We nearly went to Morecambe whilst we were home, but sadly ran out of 'dry' days. I wish we'd gone anyway now as I'd forgotten about The Midland hotel and would have loved to take a look, even just at the outside. It looks like things have changed quite a bit since I was a teenager (which will be the last time I went to Morecambe), even though there is much more to do I'm glad that gradually it's getting new life and a makeover. Bethx

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a fascinating place - I have never been there but it looks marvellous. Thanks for sharing all those beautiful photos with us.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks lovely, Eric's statue is great :) I went to Morecombe in 1988 to a scooter rally, we arrived really late & were told the campsite was full. We had to sleep infront of a large wooden building on the prom..... wonder if it's still there? Think it was called frontier land? Things you do when you're young! :) x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for the tour round. I never thought Morecombe was so stylish; when I've seen it on TV it's only showed the quicksands on Morecombe Bay.
    The Midland Hotel is amazing and I love all the statues.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh Gosh! Morecambe looks great... it's now on my list of places to visit!

    Whoever thought of the sculptures and witty paving on the prom deserves much praise! What a terrific way to bring new life to the seafront.

    Thank you for showing us you wonderful photos.
    Celia

    ReplyDelete
  15. Setting aside all the delightful pussy-cat photos you have posted over the months, this must be your best selection of photos yet! Just loved my virtual visit to Morcambe (readers please note this is the actual spelling; Morcombe sounds far too Devonian to me, har, har, living as I do in that county!) And I'm glad that I'm not the only one who takes photos inside ladies' loos if the loos are stylish! What great Art Deco seaside architecture. Not quite the thing for an English climate which more often than not has grey rather than Mediterranean blue skies, but nonetheless a stunning building (and used for an episode of Poirot if I remember correctly?)
    Margaret P

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a beautiful post, I was unaware that Morecambe was so beautiful and must get OH to take me there.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love that hotel. And those chunky chips!

    ReplyDelete
  18. So glad to see the hotel is back in business - it was closed and looking very sad when we last visited Morecambe. Your photos are wonderful! I think another visit is in order:)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I've been wanting to see The Midland for about 15 years so thanks for sharing these pictures with us.

    ReplyDelete
  20. fabulous! Thank you for the "tour". Love that Deco hotel!! Lizzie x

    ReplyDelete
  21. They used the hotel in the Poirot mystery series. Beautiful place and pictures. I showed my hubby and he was amazed at how much Morecambe has changed:)

    ReplyDelete
  22. You posh lady!
    I have a swap going on, British seaside themed, so I've found your post extremely inspirational, thank you!
    Love the new header!
    xxx

    Hey! How come no cakes this time?! :D

    ReplyDelete
  23. Lyne,

    Have really enjoyed reading this informative post - & your pictures are stunning....
    A visit it going on my wanties list

    Thankyou

    Lx

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thank you for your comment Lyn, Cornwall is certainly a trek from where you are! It took long enough from us.. smile. xx

    ReplyDelete
  25. I think I might have visited Morecambe once in my childhood but I am certain I have never seen this hotel. It is stunningly beautiful as are its surroundings. The fish and chips look pretty good too.

    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  26. That was a lovely post , I always thought of Morecambe as dare I say it ' tacky and a bit Blackpoolish ' but this shows it as being very nice and not at all like I imagined . We have some of those cormorant birds where I live too, not so many though. Love the new header , this was def one of my faves on your other post x

    ReplyDelete
  27. I think I may once have passed through Morecambe, but never visited. I must change that and soon. The Midland definitely deserves a visit, and my eldest would love a photo with Eric. Perhaps the end of September when the cool autumn breeze blows the lost leaves along? Thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hello Lyn,
    Your blog looks stunning in blue with a beautiful photo header!
    I love these outings and journeys you take us on with such wonderful pictures - I truly feel that I am taking the trip along with you!
    Your blog is a joy!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  29. Thank you for your kind comment,mum and dad are "holding up"!your lovely post is making me want to go to this lovely place again,every year when i was little we used to have a super day out at Morcambe aww the memories!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  30. I want to go to Morecambe now after reading your post. I would never have thought of going there but seeing all your wonderful photos I'd love to visit.
    Lisa x

    ReplyDelete
  31. Thanks so much for this wonderful post about Morecambe! I can remember being in my pushchair, going along the front with my gran & grandad (must have been about 1967?!. I used to spend a week in the summer hols with them every year - your photos have brought back some long lost memories - quite emotional to be honest!!

    Willow xx

    ReplyDelete

****I love reading your comments and will always try to get back to you if you have a link to your email, I do not publish Anonymous comments. Also if you have nothing nice to say...please refrain and move on, Thanks*****