
Hope you all had a lovely St Georges day? I have posted about it on my school log blog here if you want to see what our school got up to yesterday and on the same day in 1904.

Today was such a beautiful day. We went for a drive to the Yorkshire Dales.

First we went to Skipton. We didn't go into the castle today but walked around the town and along the canal.

We bought some lunch, salads and chicken and some tasty bread and apple juice and drove to Appletreewick to eat our picnic.
It was busy in the tiny village because the Craven Acoustic Festival was being held at The Craven Arms. Groups of musicians playing various acoustic instruments playing some fantastic music. 
The Craven Arms dates back to the 16th Century and contains many of it's original features such as fireplaces, gas lighting, heavy low beams and stone flagged floors. Built on the back is the Cruck Barn. This is new but build using the same materials, tools and methods used over 300 years ago. 
Oak crucks, stone quarried and shaped by hand and thatched using ling heather which grows on the moors.

The Craven Arms is named after Sir William Craven a local lad born to a pauper family who went to London, worked hard and became the Lord Mayor of London. His story is better known as 'Dick Whittington'. 
This is the weather stone that hangs outside the door. A bit of Yorkshire humour! (Paul Hudson is our local BBC weather man.)

This is the weather stone that hangs outside the door. A bit of Yorkshire humour! (Paul Hudson is our local BBC weather man.)

We saw lots of lovely lambs in the fields (I have added a new button on my sidebar about the rescue sheep, by the way!)
Then it was time to make our way home.
Thanks for the walk it was great! Appletreewick! what a name, i love that. Been over to your school blog and i'm loving the dragon, can't wait to see it finished! x x x
ReplyDeletewhat a lovely day out - never seen black faced sheep before!
ReplyDeleteThanks for another lovely walk. We haven't been up that way for a couple of years, really must again!
ReplyDeleteI'd love to visit Yorkshire at some stage. The dales look and sound lovely. I'm a real fan of stained-glass windows. My Granny would always add pearl barley to her casseroles! x
ReplyDeleteGreat Day out Lyn, I love Appletreewick. xxxx
ReplyDeleteYou probably drove past our Family Farm! (depending which way you went). Luckily I am getting a super quick 'home' fix next weekend with a trip to Burnsall, Bolton Abbey and Skipton, otherwise I might be feeling a bit homesick right now :)
ReplyDeleteA beautiful and interesting day. I like the weather stone. We were promised a lovely hot day today here in the South East but it is overcast and raining! I need to get me a weather stone! I love your part of the World. I have never been but feel drawn to the North of England. x
ReplyDeleteThank you for sharing your journey... the beauty of this place is magnificent.
ReplyDeleteSusan x
you live in a beautiful part of the country. I like the weather stone !
ReplyDeleteGreat photos, it was lovely taking a little trip with you.
ReplyDeleteSuch a beautiful part of the country. We haven't visited for a while but your post has just reminded that we really should! Sounds like you had a lovely day. Have good week! Ros
ReplyDeleteNice to see the Dales, Ed is from a village just outside Skipton and we go there regularly. Also my partens have just come back from a weekend in Appletreewick and I love the Craven Arms! Small world.
ReplyDeleteWhat a lovely day out Lyn. It's been some time since we visited the Dales but Appletreewick stands out in my memory because of the lovely Craven Arms and the story of Dick Whittington.
ReplyDeleteYorkshire has such beautiful countryside - how lucky you are!
Jeanne
x
I was reminded of James Herriot as I read your post! Thanks for the great pics, especially the weather stone!
ReplyDeleteThe weather stone made me laugh a lot!
ReplyDeleteThank you for sharing your little trip!
xxx
Lyn, thanks for your kind words in response to my last post. I needed them. Thanks.
ReplyDeleteWhat a beautiful post. Every picture looks like a postcard. Enjoy!