
Today started a bit dull but as we headed off on our day out the clouds turned white and parted and the sun came shining through.

Remember this post? well we decided we had some unfinished business there.
Hubby was very disappointed when we visited the cathedral a couple of weeks ago that we never made it up the tower.
This time we walked to the cathedral through St James' gardens.
We went straight to the tower. Up two very slow lifts and up 108 steps to the very top. You pass the bells on the way, the large one in the centre is called Great George and it weighs 14.5 tons.

The views were spectacular!
The above is looking west. Can you see the mouth of the Mersey River leading out to sea? The Liver Building? The new Museum of Liverpool Life?

This is looking north. You can see the Catholic Cathedral, affectionately known locally as 'Paddy's Wigwam' We could see Blackpool Tower on the horizon.

Looking east with the beautiful Georgian area of Liverpool and the Mersey heading off to Warrington.
Then it's south towards the hills of North Wales across the Mersey.
The above photo is looking down onto St James' Gardens.
The above photo is looking down onto St James' Gardens.
On the way down we stopped off at the 3rd floor.

From the Cathedral's Triphorium you get some great views of the inside of the church and a close up view of the Benedicite window.
There is also the Elizabeth Hoare Embroidery Gallery.
Elizabeth Hoare was the niece of the Cathedral's architect, Sir Giles Gilbert Scott. It shows some beautiful examples of Victorian and Edwardian Church Embroidery.

The photos were taken without a flash so are a bit blurred and they don't show how intricate the stitches are.

Then after a lovely lunch at The Quarter we headed off to the city centre.
1st stop St Georges Hall. The hall opened to the public in 1854 and is a grade 1 listed building. It combined the Civil and Crown Courts with an entertainment area to hold concerts and have balls. You can wander around the cells below the courtroom then walk up the stone steps to the dock and face the judge.You can walk along the balcony in the Great Hall.

There is a huge organ at one end and the beautiful stained glass window of St George and the Dragon at the other. The beautiful tiled floor was covered with boards at the moment.

We walked around the gallery and the special exhibition 'The Rise of Women Artists' Then it was home time. 
We relaxed in front of the TV and watched Dr Who and Over the Rainbow.

The request I mentioned the other day....
...please pop over to my New Blog! If you like a bit of history it might interest you, it is actually a project I am working on at the moment but I thought some people might be interested in reading about it.
Ah, my home town. I haven't visited for too too long and I miss it - thankyou so much for showing me these images and I'm glad you had such a lovely trip Lyn. Happy Easter, Emma x
ReplyDeleteNice tour Lyn, thanks! I enjoyed it very much. :-)
ReplyDeleteWhat a wonderful journey!
ReplyDeleteVisited the links you posted, I would definitely have a peek at the Quarter :) looks like a very nice place where to eat!
Love the Cathedral, and the embroidery gallery, I would spend hours there!
Have a lovely Easter, you and yours!
Love,
Annalisa
What a great post Lyn! I feel as though I've been on my own tour, but from my sofa, once again! Love the photo looking down from the Triphorium. Gorgeous photos. Sounds like you've had a lovely start to the Easter holidays. Enjoy the rest! Ros
ReplyDeleteWow! What a wonderful day!!
ReplyDeleteGreat pictures! The embroidered hares are so sweet. You live in a beautiful country... Happy Easter to you!
ReplyDeleteThank you for the wonderful tour.
ReplyDeleteThe embroidery and the cathedral window are magnificent.
Enjoy your week.
Susan x
Just blog hopping and found your blog - love the photos of the vibrant blue cathedral windows!
ReplyDeleteWonderful views from the tower and beautifully coloured stained glass windows. I am popping over to your new blog now. x
ReplyDeletewell I'm glad you revisited Sat not sunday as yesterday the lift broke down - too many people squashed in!!!!! plus 30 people up the tower for the sunrise service! - glad you had a good time
ReplyDeleteHELLO i am so loving your cats, bless, i have just got a kitten pop over to my blog and take a peep. xx
ReplyDeletethe stained glass window is magnificent !
ReplyDeletewow! lyn, these photographs are so stunning! each and every one. i feel like i've had a lovely little holiday excursion too :o)
ReplyDeletelove and hugs xxx
sumea
Wonderful views from the cathedral, Lyn, such a long way up. Love the stained glass windows too!
ReplyDeleteI need a sit down after that - you certainly covered a lot of ground. xx
ReplyDeleteHi Lyn. Good post, lots of pictures, I feel like I have been there now! I will pop over to your new blog to see what it is all about.
ReplyDeletePS - Forgot to say THANK YOU for my lovely Easter card!!!! xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
ReplyDeleteLove the photos of the daffodils with their shimmery bokeh backgrounds~!!~
ReplyDelete:)
libbyQ
Great post from my home town!
ReplyDeleteI've never been to the top of the tower - each time I've been it's been closed for repairs or bad weather! After seeing your photos it's back on my must do list!
My grandfather laid the tiles on the floor in St. George's Hall!
Have you been in the Metropolitan Cathedral? It's totally different and very modern, but if you go on a sunny day the colours from the stained glass are stunning!
Good luck with your computer!
Love Kathy xxx
What amazing stained glass! My OH studied in Liverpool and I spent a few days there many, many years ago - these pictures bring back memories - I loved both the cathedrals. And the people were so lovely and friendly.
ReplyDeleteSorry to hear about your computer - technology is wonderful when it works.
We watch Dr Who and Over the Rainbow too on Saturdays, although son no.1 retreats to his room after the first! xx
oh what a treat to revisit Liverpool, I went to college there, and never once went up the cathedral tower...... x
ReplyDelete