GOOD NEWS FOLKS....my mother in law now has broadband so when ever I am here in beautiful Shropshire I can stay in touch with you all!
What a shame the weather has turned bad for this Bank Holiday Weekend although we should be use to it, as we rarely get nice Bank Holiday weekend weather do we?
But as Brits I am sure we will make the most of it and enjoy ourselves despite the grey skies and rain.
It is so lovely to see so many Union Flags flying and bunting hanging from houses. We are not usually so visual with our patriotism.
On Friday we had a special Jubilee day. The children made food and drink for the whole school in the morning then after lunch we went outside to sit at the tables....it was a bit chilly! the goodies were eaten, games were played and then special medals and commemorative bibles were given to each child.
I have to show you some (unfinished) portraits of the Queen my year four children started last week.
Today (Sunday) we decided to wander around Church Stretton in the morning. Most of the shops were closed but they had some fantastic window displays.
We stopped off for a cup of tea
Then we decided to visit Attingham Hall
It was such a shame as they had lots of activities planned for the Jubilee but the weather had kept people away.
We walked around the house
We didn't stop at the 1930's tearoom in the mansion for afternoon tea.
On to the servants wing.
Then a quick walk around the garden
before retreating to the cafe
Then home to put our feet up and watch the highlights from the River Pageant in London on the TV.....suitably dressed of course!








We loved our visit to Shropshire and I've more to show in the next couple of posts. Blists Hill for sure and THE TORCH! came over the bridge as we watched!!!
ReplyDeleteLooks like a great time chez vous this weekend.
We got back from Kitty-visiting in time to see the best of the river pageant on TV.
Loved it all.
Cheers Gillian
A wonderful post Lyn! The paintings of the Queen are great and each one captures the essence of her! There is nothing going on for the Jubilee around here but I did watch a bit of the pageant on the TV. x
ReplyDeleteGreat post. The socks at the end made me smile. You're right it's great to see us being so visually patriotic
ReplyDeleteWhat great photos, I just love the children's art work and i bet the party was lots of fun. Attingham Hall looks like a great place to spend some time in, love the gardens.
ReplyDeleteQueens portraits are fun. What a great place Attingham Hall is.
ReplyDeleteThe children's portraits are amazing.
ReplyDeleteIt looks like the property you visited has really put some extra thought and detail into making the place come alive for visitors with the touch and feel dressing table and I love the servants details.
Lisa x
Hi I enjoyed the post.
ReplyDeleteLovely to see all the young folks art and such wonderful detail too!
Have a lovely juilee weekend..
Mariax
Ps; found you through Catnip and mint blog!
Thanks for sharing your day. We, too, had a special Sunday lunch with champagne to toast the Queen and Union Jack table cloth and napkins. I'm kicking myself now that I didn't take pictures!! The trip round the House and gardens was lovely too. Thanks so much for taking us. Joan
ReplyDeleteBeautiful photos! And I love the cupcakes and the children portraits of the Queen!
ReplyDeleteAnnalisa
xxx
Love the portraits!
ReplyDeleteI do always get sick after seeing your pictures...I'd fly to the UK immediately :)
xxx
Attingham Hall looks beautiful! It's such a shame the weather has turned but hey ho we're British so should be used to it!!! x
ReplyDeleteYou Brits sure put on a good show! Would just love to visit and see all the wonderful places you have gone to.
ReplyDeleteThank you for these fabulous photos, Lyn. So sorry to hear about the weather.
ReplyDeleteI was in college and studying in London during the Queen's Silver Jubilee. It was great fun to see all the preparation for the celebrations.
I know that many folks have mixed feelings about the monarchy, but Elizabeth is quite the lady.
:-)
I am very impressed by those year 4 portraits. I actually rather like their unfinishedness.
ReplyDeleteLove the children's portraits, esp. the one which resembles the Annigoni! such good photos as always, Attingham Hall is lovely ... it was being refurbished when we were there, few of the upstairs rooms were decorated or furnished, expect it's all a bit different now. That was in 2003, I think!
ReplyDeleteI had to look several times before I realized someone had Union flag socks on!
Margaret