Tuesday, 5 June 2012

Post card from Bridgnorth

Monday 4th June 2012
Woke to sunshine, yippee! this means we need to get out and about before the rain returns as we know it will.
So we decide to visit Bridgnorth first.

A pretty town with a High Town and a Low Town connected by the steepest inland funicular railway in Britain.

The Low town was once a thriving port on the River Severn.

The High Town has the remains of the castle and some lovely buildings and churches.

It was very busy with lots going on.

The Continental Market was on in the square


After lunch we popped to the Severn Valley Railway to see the steam trains.
This sweet little house caught my eye right next to the railway station....I would love to have a house like this
Then we decided to visit Upton Cressett Hall.
We had lovely sunshine for our visit.

Pop over to the website here to read about the hall but here are some photos from the Gatehouse (which is rented out as guest accommodation) and the hall and garden.
A tour of the 1580 Gatehouse first.
The Gatehouse


Then we went on a tour around the Hall




and at the end of the tour tea and cake was waiting for us


Then we walked around the grounds









When we got home we watched the Jubilee concert on TV
With a Pimms!

22 comments:

  1. Sounds like a good day! I love Bridgnorth, we used to visit often when Dave lived in Wolverhampton as it was within 15 miles and I always needed to escape wolves!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely photos, looks like a nice day out, somewhere else to put on the 'should visit someday' list! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great day out! I've never been to Bridgnorth .... looks like it should go on my list too!
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. your photos are marvelous! My family and I would often go to Bridgnorth when I lived in the Midlands, and I seem to remember taking the funicular railway train a few times. Thank you for this look back for me. I have enjoyed this visit so much.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I went to Bridgenorth quite a few years ago, on a flying visit for work, to an industrial estate on the edge of the town. I didn't see anything of the town but from your post it loks like an interesting place.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a lovely town your photos are fantastic, I just love the one of the Lavender so pretty. I would a little house like that also.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like a lovely day out, beautiful photo's as always :) x

    ReplyDelete
  8. You were lucky with the weather, what a fab day you had, so much in one day, a real treat. I bet you enjoyed sitting back with that Pimms.
    Lisa x

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like all the buildings you photographed!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'd never heard of Bridgnorth, it looks a lovely place to visit, you always do seem to find great places to go. Glad you had a good day and didn't get too wet...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Loved this day. I checked out the rates for the hall-- a bit pricy for this old girl, but I can dream, can't I? How are your sewing projects coming?

    ReplyDelete
  12. My goodness! A post full of so many visual delights but as I am on the fourth week of my diet I am mesmerised by the yummy looking chocolate cake!!!x

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a lovely time you had, that is a beautiful area. I've been on the steam trains there, it's a lovely line. That Hall is amazing, such plaster-work on the ceiling.

    ReplyDelete
  14. That looks so lovely and what great pics. The first ones reminded me of Hastings a little.

    Nina x

    ReplyDelete
  15. What beautiful photos, thanks for sharing. I'd love to live in the railway cottage too - so pretty.
    Twiggy x

    ReplyDelete
  16. Vicarious travel for me! Such lovely pictures & looks like marvelous fun. I checked out the website pics and think yours are much better.

    ReplyDelete
  17. How lovely!Thank you for the tour.Looks like a wonderful time you had.Thanks also for visiting Me.-Denise

    ReplyDelete
  18. Bridgnorth held memories for my mother, as at one time, when my Dad was stationed close by during WW2, she had work at a solicitors in the town called Pidsey & Roberts. Many years later, we took her there, and the solicitors were still there and we took a photo of her on the steps of their offices.
    Similarly, Bridgnorth holds memories for my husband who did his initial National Service in the RAF there, 'square bashing' as he refers to it.
    It is a pretty town and I love the trip on the little cliff railway.
    The tour of the house looked lovely, and having tea and and cake at the end of the tour could be said to be "the icing on the cake!"
    Pimms in Tins! Whatever next!
    But glad you had a good Jubilee weekend, as indeed we did also.
    Margaret P

    ReplyDelete
  19. Was the tour of the gatehouse a planned one, or did you happen there quite by chance? It looks like it was planned as part of a group outing.
    Margaret P

    ReplyDelete
  20. Well! We must obviously go back for another visit. We haven't scraped the surface. My sister came up from Dorset and came through Bridgnorth and said how gorgeous it was but we came down from the north and missed it.
    Cheers Gillian

    ReplyDelete
  21. gosh, that castle wall looks so precarious! i love love love all these old buildings. you visit such beautiful places and your photography is superb.

    ReplyDelete
  22. gosh, that castle wall looks precarious! i so love all these old buildings. you visit the most interesting places and your photography is superb.

    ReplyDelete

****I love reading your comments and will always try to get back to you if you have a link to your email, I do not publish Anonymous comments. Also if you have nothing nice to say...please refrain and move on, Thanks*****