Saturday, 7 April 2012

Happy Easter

Hello,
thank you for all your lovely comments on my last few posts.

We have had a couple of very lazy days.

In the past few years we have had friends around over the Easter break with egg hunts and cake but this year we have decided to have the get together in May instead.
(last years Easter get together here and 2009 here)

It does mean I have not decorated the house for Easter. I usually make a bit of an effort and have bunting and an Easter egg tree.
How blue is that March sky?
It's a bit sad really as I even forgot to buy some more daffodils.
***************
I wanted to share a couple of days out we had recently.
Remember this post from August last year?
A walk with Emily
Well we decided to do part two.
We parked the car in the same place and started off up the path.
It was another grey morning with a cold breeze.

The first one and three quarter miles to Top Withins Farm is a gentle slope.


The details of the walk can be found here.



As we got to the farm, the sun came out and it looked a lot less bleak.

Now we had got this far last time and had to turn back because of the weather. So the path goes across the moor above the farm.


Penistone Crag the stone outcrop at top left
After a long walk in the heather we find Penistone Crag ahead of us.
Said to be where Heathcliffe and Cathy use to meet.


Upper Ponden Farm

Ponden Hall
Ponden Hall (Thrushcross Grange)
Originally dating from 1634, Ponden Hall is generally thought to be the house Emily Bronte renamed Thrushcross Grange, home of the Linton family in her novel Wuthering Heights.

Emily, Charlotte and Anne Bronte were regular visitors to Ponden Hall, being good friends of the Heaton family
who lived there in the mid 1800's.



We then walked around Ponden Reservoir built in the early 1870's.

We stop a while to watch the lapwings
and the sweet lambs.
Nearly back at the car.

a four and a half mile walk on a beautiful spring day. I will share my other day out with you later next week.
Happy Easter to all my followers and readers.

14 comments:

  1. The photos are all stunning Lyn. I could walk for miles in such beautiful countryside. Thank you for sharing a wonderful day out. Happy Easter! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy easter, what lovely photos and a great place for a walk.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh. Those lambs!

    Thank you for another lovely walk.

    We have woken up to snow flurries here on the ridge in Vermont. Tea and hot cross buns for breakfast.

    Sending you best wishes for a happy Easter. xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a beautiful walk. I like Yorkshire because it's very similar to the peak district in places! Very interesting with the literary connections as well. I am reading Anne Bronte at the moment, I think the Brontes have to be some of my favourites!

    I've had a lazy week and have only been out of the house once! The weather has not been inspiring so I've spent my easter hol reading so far - sometimes it's nice not to be doing things!

    Happy Easter.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely walk, the lambs are stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks a very invigorating walk. I like the references to Wuthering Heights. I have to say that I find the book a little melodramatic, I always favoured Jane Eyre myself. I've yet to read anything by Anne Bronte, but I recently bought one of her books from a charity shop so I will get round to it soon(ish!).
    Have a great second week of the holidays, here's hoping it warms up a little, but at least it's not been wet, yet (touching wood).

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a stunning landscape Lyn - I love the stark emptiness. Happy Easter. Lesley x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Easter. Lovely walk, I haven't been in that part of the world for ages but I do remember how wonderfully wild and atmospheric it is.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can almost see Heathcliffe!! Fab walk Mrs xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hope you had a happy Easter too!
    It looks a bit chilly for my likes, but truly beautiful!
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Really stunning countryside and a chance of a glimpse of Heathcliffe puts the icing on the cake!
    Ellen x

    ReplyDelete
  12. looks like a lovely trip out and what a fabulous blue sky!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hello. I'm reading lots of stuff and will get back to you later.
    Cheers Gillian

    ReplyDelete
  14. Stunning photos and I have not been to Bronte country for years - so it was nice to go there again via your pictures. Nice to see a blue sky - seems to have been grey here for days! XCathy

    ReplyDelete

****I love reading your comments and will always try to get back to you if you have a link to your email, I do not publish Anonymous comments. Also if you have nothing nice to say...please refrain and move on, Thanks*****