
Well, I should actually be tidying up the study/studio/workroom/dumping ground.
It's in such a mess, Hubby says I hoard too much and I say I may need it for something in the future!
Anyway I managed to hide away this week and paint a cat picture. The photo I took it from was not very good and they were black and white cats so I had to improvise on the white bits. I resorted to tiny strokes of white gouache (they don't show up on this photo) It looks OK and I am popping over to give it to a colleague I work with who's 60th birthday it is today (they are her cats, Ozzy and Elvis.)
Talking about cats, did you read this article in the FT today? it's by Tom Cox (under the paw) and is about Jackie Morris and her three ginger cats.
What else have I been up too? I made damson and apple jam, bought some cushion pads in readiness for my crochet covers, had a visit from a friend, baked a Lemon Cake, read Miss Pettigrew lives for a day (excellent) and started to gather things for a special book I am making for my mum's 70th birthday.
I also got this book, full of lovely things and I am itching to get out some of the lovely Rowan Yarn I bought this week and have a go. 
Its called Beyond the square Crochet motifs by Edie Eckman.


The Public House served beers and you could get lunch at the fish and chip shop. Sweets were weighed out of jars and you could buy with 'old money' exchanged at the bank

Its called Beyond the square Crochet motifs by Edie Eckman.
I just also feel the need to show you some more photos from our second week away at the end of July.

We went to Ironbridge on one day and to Blists Hill Victorian Town Museum. What a wonderful place. Built up around a blast furnaces and brickworks built in the late 1700's. Many of the shops and houses were moved here brick by brick to save them from demolition and the whole town is delightful. I especially liked the Grocers store, the Draper & Milliner and the Doctors house.

The Public House served beers and you could get lunch at the fish and chip shop. Sweets were weighed out of jars and you could buy with 'old money' exchanged at the bank

Of course there was a lot to see about how people worked as well as lived and the Chemist, Cobblers, Plasterers, Plumbers, Locksmiths, Saw Mill and Masons were all being worked and the School Mistress was in the tiny school and the Doctors wife was sewing in her front room. There was a Butchers, a baker and of course a Candle makers where I bought some hand dipped candles!

I must leave you with some photos I took of Lucy this week, she's such a cutie!

What a fabulous painting! I wish I were half as talented...XXX
ReplyDeleteHello Lyn
ReplyDeleteThanks for visiting my blog. I've had a look around yours and I think it is wonderful. I visited Blists Hill museum a few years ago. I remember going to the sweet shop and buying sweets in old money that you could exchange at the museum. I think the exchange rate was about £1 to an old penny or something like that so it made the sweets seem really cheap!
Nice to meet you.
Susie X
I've just had a good time catchjng up with your trip to Wales which looks gorgeous. I wish I'd known about that little harbour village near St Davids. I went to Aberystwit last year for a funeral..didn't get much chance to look at teh town but I loved the area.
ReplyDeleteLucy is a cutie.
Lyn ~ Your painting is wonderful ~ you are very talented and your colleague is sure to love it. I love the look of that book too. I may just have to put it on my Amazon wish list and hope that someone takes pity on me and buys me a little pressie :O)
ReplyDeleteWhat a lovely painting. I'm sure they will be thrilled with the gift.
ReplyDeleteThanks for putting the photos from Ironbridge. A place I always intended to visit yet never have.
Love your painting Lyn - clever lady!! We seem to like and do similar things - I've blogged today about Lemon cake (well, buns!), recently read Miss Pettigrew (and loved it!) and I'm finishing a crochet cushion cover...then, there's cats, making a mess, hoarding - spooky, hey!! Rebecca x
ReplyDeleteWhat a beautiful painting Lyn. Your photo's are great too. I loved it at Blists Hill. I loved changing our money back to £:S:D. Its ages since we have been - must do a revisit. I love museums like this. The Black Country Museum and of course the one in Durham - starts with a B, name escapes me (happens a lot these days!!!)xxxxx
ReplyDeleteLucy is lovely, such a pretty puss! Your painting of the black and white cats is wonderful. I love Blists Hill Museum - we have said that we would like to visit it again this year, seems ages since we were last there - I too loved all the shops:)
ReplyDeleteLovely painting of the two kitties, we're sure it will be enjoyed by the bean that the kitties own. ;) And Lucy is so cute in her photos!! :)
ReplyDeleteHey, Bugsy's posted another update today, he's doing fine and adjusting to his cone. Thanks for stopping by and lifting his spirits on Friday!
Purrs and hugs,
The Kitty Krew and The Mommy