Thursday, 27 February 2014

We're back!

What a great adventure we have been on.
 We arrived in Dubai on Friday evening
 It was valentines day....we were too tired to go and find somewhere to eat so we ordered room service.
Above is the view from one of our windows on the Saturday morning.
 We stayed at the Towers Rotana (above).

We hopped on the highly efficient and beautifully clean train towards Dubai Creek.
We didn't take an abra, the river taxi, but walked along the path and spotted this beautiful bird in the grounds of the Rulers Court.

I loved the Dhows painted in pastel colours.
Then we walked into the Bastakia.
past the Al Fahidi fort, the city's first major sea defence and for a time also the accommodation of Dubai's rulers.
Above is a Wind-tower house. A traditional built building with the towers acting as an early form of air conditioning. 






We hoped back on the train to Dubai Mall and a quick look around the many, many shops and the very large aquarium!


Burj Khalifa
 And then it was time for our pre-booked trip 'at the Top'
 The Burj Khalifa stands 828 metres high. You may of seen Tom Cruise hanging out of it in Mission Impossible. (At the moment it is the tallest man made structure in the world)

 We went up to the observation deck on the 124th floor, 452 metres up!


 The view from there was spectacular!
 Above you can see the artificial island, The Palm.


After all that excitement we went down to earth for a coffee and cake.

And to watch the fountain show at 6pm
And then it was time to leave Dubai and set off in a taxi to Abu Dhabi............

16 comments:

  1. Crikey, that was a bit of a shock, seeing Dubai. I am glad to see that there are vestiges of the old way of life. I would not have been able to look down from that height.

    Fancy seeing a Hoopoe over there, I had thought that they were mostly European. Shows what I know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my - what a trip. Fabulous photos. I'm glad you went up to the observation deck - so I won't have to.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brilliant photos - it was good to see a bit of 'old' Dubai, I just imagine it as all the recently developed areas

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really loved the old Dubai but the modern bits are amazing....thanks for the photos!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have heard so much about Dubai. Your photos are spectacular. It all looks so clean and sparkling.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! Your pictures were spectacular.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a wonderful experience for you. I love the blue skies! You wouldn't get me up that skyscraper but you would get me to eat coffee and cake! x

    ReplyDelete
  8. WOW!!!! It really does look so spectacular and so very different from home . And how sparkly and clean does it all look!! Your photo's are fantastic and you were very brave to go to the top!!! xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a fantastic adventure .. thankyou for sharing.
    x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely combination of the old and the new, and how lovely to see blue skies and warmth.
    A lovely Hoopoe that you captured - although it does not breed in the UK at least 100 birds can turn up here in the spring as they migrate to Europe from Africa.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful photo's & that view is amazing. I visited in 1997, it was still a building site, looks a lot nicer now :) x

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a fantastic trip. It looks like a beautiful place to vacation. I would love to go someday. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovely pics! Oh and I think that bird might be a Hoopoe or a relation of. Hoopoes can sometimes be spotted in South UK when they migrate!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sounds like a wonderful trip and your photos are great. Looking forward to hearing more about your adventures

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wonderful trip Lyn with some fabulous photos. Isn't it funny I'd always imagined Dubai as being full of designer shops, filthy rich people parading around in their designer clothes and posh boats on the water and just a city full of skyscrapers and nothing else. Instead you've given us another side of Dubai which I think I would enjoy. Older buildings, market places, traditional boats. Wonderful and thank you for sharing. Incidentally I am very impressed with those skyscrapers though :-))
    Patricia x

    ReplyDelete
  16. Fabulous photos, everything looks very silver and clean! I've never really fancied Dubai, but I can see I might be missing out - I shall hope along to your other posts (I'm sure there are some, what with me being a couple of weeks behind, as usual!) to see more. Bethxx

    ReplyDelete

****I love reading your comments and will always try to get back to you if you have a link to your email, I do not publish Anonymous comments. Also if you have nothing nice to say...please refrain and move on, Thanks*****