Tuesday, 14 January 2014

start as we mean to go on

Driving through a sunny Halifax
We started the year with plenty of walking........we walk lots more in the winter/autumn time than we seem to in the spring/summer months.
A quick snap from the car of a tea room in Keighley I want to try
So we walked in Shropshire (see previous post)
Skipton
and now I want to show you a couple of other walks we have done since the new year began.
As usual our walks start with a lovely lunch this time here at the Three Sheep Tea Rooms in Skipton.
 Then we walked along the canal.

 Passed the Pie and Mash Shop











Nipped into my favourite shop in Skipton.

 and took a peep inside the town hall.
Then we drove up to Airton. We were going to do a walk from a Paul Hannon Short Scenic Walks book, this one from the Malhamdale book, walk number 9.

 Airton Village green with the stocks above where we parked the car.


 Mills on the river now apartments and houses.
We followed the river...it was a bit muddy under foot.




 Then our path took us up the lane.




The sun was starting to go down and we enjoyed the last of it's rays.


 Shoulbreads Laithe, a lovely old farm building.


In the photos above and below you can see the distinctive lychets, the cultivation terraces of early farmers.



 Time to wash the muddy boots



 Through the farmyard and into the hamlet of Calton.




Down the track out of Calton.



 Over the river and back to Airton


I did say at the beginning of this post I would show you a couple of walks but I think this post is quite long enough!

20 comments:

  1. I love walking too. your walks look wonderful.

    Leanne xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just fabulous Lyn, thank you for sharing.I grew up in Haworth and lived in Halifax for a while.Now I love in the midlands so it's great to see the old places again.
    Jacquie x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love coming on your walks with you - they are always so interesting and beautiful. I like the fact that you prove that a walk doesn't always have to be all countryside either though I must admit I love the countryside most of all. That tree which has grown round the fence is intriguing and the seventh from the end view is stunning with the sun setting on the hilltops and the silhouettes of the trees.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Two wonderful walks Lyn, each with their own beauty. You live close to some lovely countryside to get out and about in. I love the canal walk photos:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such beautiful photos and such lovely walks, I enjoyed "walking" with you very much.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, I really enjoyed your picturesque walks, haven't been up to Skipton for ages. Such a beautiful part of the country. Thankyou for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooh, I did enjoy that, didn't even get to put my boots on! Thank you!
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. I must take my iPad with me the next time I visit my friend so that I can show her photos to get her in the mood to make travel plans. Your photos are stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  9. We much prefer to walk in Winter, less flies and more to see due to the lack of leaves on the trees!!
    Lovely photos, we went on the boat trip in Skipton, last Summer , what a pretty place.
    Twiggy

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm green with envy as we have both been off it and not up to walking so much. I love Skipton and last time we called into the Pie and Mash shop as those 2 things are Becky's favouritest things on earth! xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are spoilt for choice with so many lovely places to walk. I think we should get out walking more in winter as the days are so short and lacking in daylight! x

    ReplyDelete
  12. They were wonderful walks - I could have gone on and on. The photos are astonishing - I loved the house in the soft green fields - I have to admit, I was a little surprised to see a modern vehicle there - not sure what I expected, but it was still my favorite photo. Wouldn't you love to live in one of those houses along the canal? I really enjoyed all the stone buildings and rock walls and pathways and sheep and trees and amazing clouds. Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What beautiful places to walk. I love seeing the canals especially, they look so pretty with the boats in them and I'd love to walk along the side of one.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You have given me the urge to go up to Skipton soon - it is ages since we went there. I haven't been to Airton so will make a note to visit perhaps when my mum comes down again.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for all the gorgeous photos of places I'll never see. You are so lucky to have a partner who walks with you. It's too cold and snowy to walk here......I'm a fair weather person.

    ReplyDelete
  16. What wonderful walks you take us on. Love the tea rooms window display !

    ReplyDelete
  17. Happy New Year to you Lyn. Thanks for the lovely pics. Skipton is definitely on my list for 2014. I did my teaching round there at Skipton Girls High in 1971/2 while I was at Leeds Uni doing the Grad. Ed.Cert. and spent the winter term driving to and fro behind the snowplough. I must return to see it in greenery.
    Cheers Gillian

    ReplyDelete
  18. You take lots of photos on your walks. I would love to ride in one of those long narrow boats. We drove through Skipton and stopped and looked at an old parish church and their cemetery. Tis a lovely place. One of my ancestors came from there.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I just love the light in all of these pictures. The open spaces and green are so beautiful in your part of the world, and the buildings inspire story telling. It's as if they are little books I'd like to open and read about the people who inhabit them.

    ReplyDelete
  20. You've just made my morning - lovely to see my home town and the surrounding area, complete with it's usual moody skies. Thank you :) Bethx

    ReplyDelete

****I love reading your comments and will always try to get back to you if you have a link to your email, I do not publish Anonymous comments. Also if you have nothing nice to say...please refrain and move on, Thanks*****