Friday, 24 January 2014

The Bride Stones



I do mean to catch up with all your lovely blogs but time just seems to be running away with me at the moment.
We have been lucky and had some dry weather for some walking but the ground is very soggy.
Today I am sharing a walk we did last weekend.
Again from a Paul Hannon Short Scenic Walks book, this time Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.
Walk number 5 Bride Stones.
The start was a bit of a steep climb up from the main road to Burnley from Todmorden.
Orchan Rocks
 We took it slow....or rather I did....Hubby is a lot fitter than I am! 
There he goes striding off into the distance!


Up the pack horse route.
 we passed a long abandoned farm
 and carried on along the pack horse track, well flagged and well worn.
 Down in the valley you can see the town of Todmorden.
This is also a path to Stoodley Pike....maybe another day.

looking back
Whirlow common with Whirlow stones ahead.
 Big views on the way up as we circle Whirlow stones
 There is Stoodley Pike in the distance above
.

 Above looking back at the track we have just walked.
 At the top of the hill we found this fantastically carved head!

Bride Stones ahead











The sun was setting and we started to head for home.















Orchan Rocks
Back down the last path and to the car.
Now I am off to read some of your blogs.....Have a good weekend.

27 comments:

  1. The stones are fantastic Lyn. Don't bother reading my blog I've nothing to report at the moment. Have a great weekend.
    Lynn xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those skies. Breathtaking. I wouldn't worry about not visiting. My life is a constant whirl. I used to get terribly guilty if I didn't get round to everyone's blog. But now I fit it in as and when I can. A bit like my personal blog. I write and reflect as and when.

    I think this walk with you has been one of my favourites.

    Leanne xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fabulous scenery, great photos, lovely walk for the fit... but where's the loo!!!! (I'm getting on a bit now and the idea of being so far from a loo makes me want to.... well, go to the loo!) And I absolutely love your header, she is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You take wonderful photos of a stunning landscape Lyn....it's always lovely to visit. Thank you for sharing.
    Jacquie x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lyn, I am running out of words. I was reminded of Jane Eyre wondering in the wilderness or poor King Lear blinded and lost in moors. You fuel my daydreams.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful, yet eerie at the same time, photos. The scenery is just wonderful!!! The carved head is a lovely surprise. Are the bride rocks a natural formation?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely walk, I'm not much of a "hiller" coming from a long line of bog folk, loved the standing stones and the carved face.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I want to take that walk with my camera! The views are fantastic and I love the different rock and stone features you found. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  9. A great walk! Interest and beauty everywhere. Loved the sculpture and I see a face on one of the bridestones too. Another walk for my list! Thankyou again.

    ReplyDelete
  10. We live in such a beautiful part of the world here in Yorkshire dont we Lyn? Your photos are lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely atmospheric photos Lyn. Do you know who carved the head? x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gorgeous and very dramatic shots. So lovely xxx

    ReplyDelete
  13. I can't believe all this is almost on my doorstep - I need to get out more!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lovely walk and some really good atmospheric photos Lyn. Xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a lovely part of the world.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful as always! I love going for a walk with you! Ros

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful pictures and very strange stones. Here everything are white.

    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hello Lyn,

    Wow, what a spectacular views, stunning!!!
    Have a nice week!

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a deightful walk. Was it very hard going? Must have been a fair bit of it uphill I guess. So glad you took your camera so I could come too !

    ReplyDelete
  20. That was some walk Lyn - enjoyed the wonderful scenery. Thank you for sharing. x

    ReplyDelete
  21. A lovely walk. I love seeing your photos. You've inspired me to buy this book for my Mum for her birthday, we don't live too far and she's just retired and I think she'd enjoy exploring.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow, those views are breathtaking and the light just amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thank you for taking me on such a breathe taking walk I love the stones

    ReplyDelete
  24. We have mud like that. We have a railway tunnel. We have drama of our own but not of your kind. I rather wish I lived there.

    ReplyDelete
  25. That carved stone was a surprise !

    ReplyDelete
  26. Lovely scenery. It's very wet and muddy underfoot down here too. I love that carved head. Surprises like that make the effort of the cold and mud worth it!

    ReplyDelete

****I love reading your comments and will always try to get back to you if you have a link to your email, I do not publish Anonymous comments. Also if you have nothing nice to say...please refrain and move on, Thanks*****