Sunday, 5 January 2014

Art and Inspiration


So the beginning of January this year has not been like a winter wonderland, more like a dull grey wet splat. But I feel so sorry for the people living in the south and west of the country where they are having terrible storms and floods.
Rain or not we had to get out on January the first.
To our surprise the Yorkshire Sculpture Park was open and we wanted to catch the Angie Lewin exhibition before it finished in February......so off we went.
I recommend it if you are anywhere near as it is an excellent exhibition with lots of new work influenced by the time she spent at the park. It was a different day to the last visit we made last February. But it is interesting to compare the two.

Straight up the stairs to eat a delicious lunch....you just can't take in the creativity on an empty stomach!
I loved her new watercolours and her work on drift wood but I really, really liked the glass case that shows her sketchbooks, wood blocks and natural inspiration.

 I loved the work but.......
Time to walk off that lunch.

It was still raining so we went along the walled garden to the underground gallery.


Amar Kanwar, Interesting but a bit disturbing too.
Despite the rain we headed down to the Camellia house.







Way to early for the flowers.







Then we headed back to the main building and one last drool at the Angie Lewin goods in the shop window.




Then it was time to make a dash to the car.
We managed a few walks this holiday too, but I will do a separate post about them and I want to tell you about our second cultural visit this holiday.
 This time after reading this post at Down by the Dougie we hopped on the train to Leeds.
Walked through the new shopping centre, The Trinity Centre.

Andy Scott's Packhorse
It has some great public art.
Then through the arcades.
 To Leeds City Art Gallery.
 To see this Exhibition. Art and Life.

In side there is a beautiful tiled cafe...but we had already eaten so I just took a quick photo. No Photography is allowed in the Gallery but DO Go and read Down by the Dougie post about the exhibition here, as it has lots of lovely pictures. I came out loving Winifred Nicholson's paintings even more than before.
And when we did emerge from the gallery it was going dark...and still raining!

So the decorations are down but not yet put away.
The resolutions are down on paper.
The chocolate is nearly finished.
The new year has begun!

14 comments:

  1. What stunning photographs, Lyn! Gorgeous exhibit. I think right about now I'd rather have your rain than be buried under the snow here in New England! Thanks for visiting our Baby. Love your blog header :) We have a tiger as well!
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love to see these places in person one day, but your photos make me feel like I've had a chance to go too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great photos ~ I love my visits to the art galleries here in Cairns. Unfortunately we cannot photograph artists' works anymore. I used to enjoy Instagramming and blogging about my visits. Thank you for sharing your photos.

    ReplyDelete
  4. VERY cool photos ~ I love the door to the underground gallery .

    ReplyDelete
  5. We went to see Ghost at the theatre last year and stayed over. Leeds is a wonderful place and we did all the things you did. We will certainly be visiting again. Next up for us is Nottingham in a couple of weeks. Xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. As always beautiful photography. How I wish I could have visited that first exhibition and I'd have found the shop difficult to resist too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. They both look like wonderfully inspiring exhibitions, Lyn and worth braving the wet and windy weather to see:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Two lovely exhibitions and a great day out. It must have made a miserable day very worthwhile! x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sorry I couldn't make it to YSP - I've had a nasty cold for 3 weeks now and I couldn't get my backside off the sofa!!! I'll try and catch it though as it looks as lovely as we thought! I still might be able to catch the Leeds one as we have to drop the young man back at Uni on Sunday. xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sometimes you just have to take the bull by the horns with this awful weather, which really paid off for you Lyn. Your day out looked smashing with the bonus of two exhibitions.
    Patricia x

    ReplyDelete
  11. looks like you made the most out of the rainy day Lyn. Beautiful pics. x

    ReplyDelete
  12. You do get so some lovely places don't you? Thanks for the pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Of course I want to go there and there and there! Your photos are so beautiful and show off the English countryside so wonderfully.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a wonderful exhibition to find on. I like your photos showing doorways - always a favourite of mine - so inviting to peek behind !

    ReplyDelete

****I love reading your comments and will always try to get back to you if you have a link to your email, I do not publish Anonymous comments. Also if you have nothing nice to say...please refrain and move on, Thanks*****