Saturday, 18 October 2014

Lucy Boo

My darling Lucy Boo passed away in the early hours of October the 7th after 18 beautiful years with us.
A recent scientific study revealed the same emotional response was given by women shown a picture of their child or a picture of their pet. I truly believe a pet becomes one of the family and when a pet dies it is like a member of the family dying.
I would like to share Lucy's story in this post.
We got Bob in February 1992 and he was a loving cuddly cat but very nervous. In the summer of 1996 we answered a plea from our local Cats protection to foster a cat until a permanent home could be found. We took in an adult white cat (with no teeth and a bit of an attitude!) for a couple of weeks. This cat was called Lucy, she didn't let poor Bob in the lounge for a few weeks and in the end we decided it wasn't fair on him and a new foster home was found for Lucy the white cat.
In the midst of preparing for our wedding in the Autumn of 1996 we thought if we introduced a kitten to Bob he might not find that so intimidating. We went back to the Cats Protection and fell in love with a little scrap of a thing...as we had got use to the name...she became Lucy. The lady at the cats protection would not take our donation for her and said she was a wedding present.
She grew into her ears!
It was touch and go for the first few days as she was very ill. Poor Bob wondered what we had brought home she was such a skinny, scrappy thing and never really liked being cuddled.
Soon they were friends, we only have one photo of them curled up together but they were never far from each other. Lucy was a little more adventurous and even went missing over night a couple of times but she always came back.
She never ever put on much weight and lost most of her teeth when young but this never held her back.
When we lost Bob in August 2008 she was probably even more doted on and totally ruled the house.
Over the years I took thousands of photos of both Lucy and Bob (what will I take photos of now?). Of course I don't have them all on my computer so most of these are later ones.
She would follow the patch of sun around the house.
She loved the fire, she was a little heat monster. 
One of her favourite places was in the airing cupboard.
She caught a few wild creatures but was never a big hunter...although she could watch a mouse hole in the garden for hours on end!


She loved soft cheese.
Her favourite tipple from the bathroom sink.




Neither of our cats could use a cat flap...we had to hold it open with string!

 A couple soft focus photos!

 She loved a box....and a ladder.
We are finding it terribly hard without her in the house, for such a tiny thing she has left a big hole, I am finding it really difficult coming home to an empty house.


I found it hard to say no to her....if she wanted to sit on your knee...she won!
 Hubby is adamant we are not getting another cat.
We were with her in her final hours, she was not unwell before she died and not in any pain, her little body just gave up and she slipped quietly away. There was a rainbow that evening.

43 comments:

  1. So sorry to hear this. Pets bring so much to our lives don't they?... and they leave a very big gap !

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so, so sorry to read about the loss of your most precious Lucy. What a beautiful girl she was, and what a beautiful life she had with you! I hope you are finding comfort in your memories, and in knowing that she and Bob are together again and are waiting for you at the Rainbow Bridge.

    --And I totally agree, the loss of our 4 legged family members is truly like losing a two legged one....

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh Lyn, my heart is breaking for you both. I understand the loss a beloved pet can leave, they are so special because they never judge us, only give pure unconditional love. No words could fill the emptiness you feel, but there are many of us who feel your pain, love and hugs to you and hubby. Lucy is over the rainbow playing with Bob again. x x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so sorry. It truly is like losing a member of the family-we had our cat for 20 years.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So sad to hear about your loss and know just how big the hole Lucy has left will be - they do become such a part of your life don't they? I still miss Tom who died nearly a year ago and Bambi who we lost the year before that - the house is somehow empty without them but we don't want any more now either. People say soon after they die "Will you get another" as if you can just pop out and buy a replacement! I think it is up to the individual to do what is right for them. Time really is the great healer though and I can now think of the fun times we had, how wonderful was the affection they gave and how lucky and blessed we were to have shared their lives and I am sure that gradually you too will be able to think of Lucy without that heavy weight of sadness. My thoughts are with you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What wonderful memories of dear Lucy Boo you have to hold on to Lyn. I know how empty you feel at the moment. Our pets are a large part of us and they leave such a huge gap when they are gone. I had tears in my eyes when I read your lovely tribute to Lucy today. Take care and take timexx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am sobbing reading this Lyn. I had a feeling that something was amiss. Your lovely Lucy looked just like my tabby Beth who I had for about 16 years. I think animals instinctively know when it is time to go. I am glad her passing was a peaceful one. x

    ReplyDelete
  8. So sorry to hear this, I agree, pets take such a big piece of our hearts. We have two cats who we love.

    Helenxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. a lovely post about Lucy, so sorry to hear the news,Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh Lyn what a beautiful tribute to Lucy. I can only echo what others have said about well loved pets being a true part of the family. Think of what a wonderful home you gave her and the love she gave in return. Take care x Jane

    ReplyDelete
  11. So sorry to read this. We lost Ella not so long ago so I can understand. I am the cat person in our house and really miss her. Hugs Dxxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really feel for you Lyn. It is a loss of a family member isn't it, 'pet' doesn't even begin to cover it. Such lovely photos of her and Bob.
    At least you can take heart that she didn't suffer as she passed away.

    Jean
    x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Losing a pet is like losing a family member. So sorry for your loss!
    Hugs,
    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  14. So sorry. What a treasure she was.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am so sorry, Lyn. We have lost both of our cats that we with us for years and the dog, too. Jasmine and Country came to us the same summer followed by Max the dog. They all lived long lives. Jasmine was 17, Country, 18, Max 15. We miss them still. As your husband, I say no more cats. We still have Mo and a wild cat has adopted us. Then there is the new dog, Boone Doggle. What a mess he is. Losing our little pets is so hard and there will be an emptiness in your house and heart too, but you will take comfort knowing that you gave a sweet little kitty the very best home she could have ever wished for.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am so sorry to hear about Lucy, it sounds as though you all had a wonderful life together, so you will have lots of happy memories to reflect on in time. xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lyn, the words and pictures you have shared with us are exquisitely beautiful, much like Lucy herself. I am a cat person and grew to love your Lucy over the years via your blog. She was a sweetie and I was delighted to find her amidst your lovely posts. May it be of some small comfort to you to know that so many of us scattered across the globe will miss her too, and hold you close to our hearts as you mourn her passing. If only I liver closer, we would have a restorative cup of tea together. Sending love, KarenLR xoxoxox

    ReplyDelete
  18. Lyn, I'm so sorry for your loss, it is like losing a family member. Your photos were wonderful, she looks so much like our Miss Kitty who owns us. When we lost our cat before Miss Kitty I swore there would be no more cats, but my husband insisted and after a search we found Miss Kitty who quickly stole our hearts. If something should happen to her, and it would break my heart if it did, I know now that we would have to get another kitty.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm so sorry for your loss. Lucy was a lovely girl - from start to finish and I know you both brought each other joy and happiness.

    ReplyDelete
  20. so sorry, she sounds like she a lovely member of the family xxx

    ReplyDelete
  21. In my stupidity, I posted my response on quite the wrong post, for which I apologise deeply. Hugs. x

    ReplyDelete
  22. I'm so sad to hear this but I think Lucy was very lucky to have a lovely home for 18 years and then to pass so peacefully at the end.

    ReplyDelete
  23. A beautiful tribute, so sorry she has gone. You're very lucky to have been with her and there was no complications when she decided to rest. Xx

    ReplyDelete
  24. So so sad Lyn. She was a most loved cat for all of her life with you. xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  25. What a lucky little cat to have had you in her life. So sad she is gone.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Sorry to hear about Lucy. [HUG] x

    ReplyDelete
  27. Beautiful post Lyn, so sorry to hear of your loss. It's heart breaking when they leave us :( When Ted left me 2 years ago I vowed I wouldn't/couldn't go through it again but like you say the house feels so empty without them. After 3 months I got my girls from the RSPCA, now I wouldn't be without them. I hope the pain eases soon xx

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hello Lyn,

    I just read your last post and although it's late to react (sorry!), I send a hug to you anyway. How sad to loose your pet, your dear cat Lucy, I know what it is, it's horrible. Simply horrible.
    So a big hug from me, all the best,

    Carolien

    ReplyDelete
  29. So sorry about Lucy...they are family and leave a big hole when gone.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Sorry for your loss Lin, she was a beautiful cat. She looked so much like my Katie cat who died on Christmas morning 2012. It mad me cry looking at your photos, she even slept like your Lucy with her legs sticking out!
    It's early days but, I hope you will let another cat 'find' you.
    Hugs xxx

    ReplyDelete
  31. Sending you a big hug Lyn!
    And writing this with a heavy heart since yesterday we put to sleep our beloved dog Arturo, he was 17 years old and very ill. I really believe that pets are like family members.
    Michela xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  32. Dear Lyn, what a lovely tribute and your photos say it all - the companionship, the fun, the cheekiness, the laughter and most of all the love you all shared with her. I can empathise with your sadness - my two sibling cats died a few years ago, within a year of each other after 17 years with us. It still hurts. P x

    ReplyDelete
  33. I'm so sorry for your loss. What a beautiful, sweet kitty. I love all of your photos of her. Thank you so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  34. I am so sorry for your loss Lyn. A beautiful and very much loved kitty, I know she will be greatly missed but hope all the joy and sweet memories she brought will sustain you at such a sad time. My thoughts are with you.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Oh Lyn, I am so incredibly sorry to read this post, I know how hard these things are and my heart goes out to you. Not sure I did actually mention it on my blog, but Smelly died over last Easter, she was 16 and it was all quite traumatic as the vets kept trying to keep her alive as they didn't really know what was wrong but really she should have been allowed to go much earlier. It leaves such a big hole, I really do feel for you. Bethxx

    ReplyDelete
  36. What a wonderful tribute post of your darling cat, Lyn.
    Margaret P

    ReplyDelete
  37. Oh Lyn, of course you'll miss her so much - because she WAS a member of your family. What a lovely tribute to lovely Lucy xx

    ReplyDelete
  38. So, so sorry to read about your gorgeous girl Lucy. She was a beautiful girl. Sending you a hug. xx

    ReplyDelete
  39. Oh, I am so sorry. Pets are still part of the family, especially when you've shared your home and life with them for 18 years. She was clearly very, very loved and had a pretty fantastic life! x

    ReplyDelete
  40. Just caught up with your sad news. So sorry you have lost your little darling, sending kind thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  41. I can't believe I missed this, I am so sorry. I've read this post multiple times and it makes me so sad. Such a terrible loss, I've been there before and it's just as bad as losing a family member, it's so sad.
    I'm so sorry for your loss.
    Love,
    Annalisa
    xxx

    ReplyDelete

****I love reading your comments and will always try to get back to you if you have a link to your email, I do not publish Anonymous comments. Also if you have nothing nice to say...please refrain and move on, Thanks*****